Saturday, July 23, 2011

Couponing is problematic....

Photo credit
So I'm pretty excited to save money on food this upcoming week.  I plan not to eat out at all and take my lunch to work everyday.  Today I picked up the Sunday early edition paper-- I hurried home and to my surprise the coupons available are really a disappointment.

Is it me or are manufacturer coupons distributing less now?  In the past I remember buying the Sunday paper and seeing a savings of $1,098+ dollars worth of coupons listed on the front page.  Now the coupons are so meek in savings that the paper doesn't even advertise the amount.  I'm already struggling as it is and I haven't even tried to grocery shop yet.  Tomorrow I plan to go to the market as my first attempt to get serious and shop with my coupons and combine them with store sales in order to maximize the amount of food I can afford on my budget.

So I guess all I can really do is try my best and make the most of what I have for this week.  Luckily we do have some food left over from last weeks grocery shopping trip.  It's a total bummer though.

One practical tip I do have for people looking to cut back on food cost is to write companies that you admire and ask for coupons.  It has worked for me in the past and they not only send coupons but will also mail freebie coupons that won't expire for several months...   I think I will start cashing in on these goods now.....

If anyone has advice on how to spend less on food---- please share. Just in case some of you are worried I will become a food hoarder, not to worry.  Extreme couponing is not practical for my time schedule.  I barely have free time as it is and the thought of spending 5 hours a day looking for coupons and walking the streets to dumpster dive is just not going to happen. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment