Monday, September 5, 2011

Hurricane Irene is MEAN!

It's been way a long time since I posted on my blog.  My goal was to post once a week but unfortunately I have been having major house expenses this past month. I'm not going to lie and write that life is dandy and I learned such a valuable experience and I am so lucky that I didn't have more damage.  Yes, I am lucky my house did not wash away but I am really bitter that when I bought my house 2 years ago my inspector didn't catch certain troubled areas in my house.

So Irene came along and I have water damage.  Water was pouring in from my front window.  At first I assumed that my brick pointer didn't point the bricks correctly.  So I hired a different inspector to come out and look at the damage and let me know where the leaks are coming from in my house.  It turns out that my roof and brick pointing is perfect. WHEW!  Lucky me.

However, all my windows were installed poorly and do not have window capping or caulking.  This seems like a simple fix right?  NAH, not really.  Capping cost money and I also want a professional to fix it.  So to get all my windows capped and caulked and to add window trim around all of my house windows, it will cost me 2K.  Not to mention I need a new transcient window covering because the old owners used the wrong material to cover this area and water is coming in through that area as well.  I also need a new chimney liner and I have no idea what that will cost me.  This doesn't include that fact that I need front walls replaced in my living room and master bedroom, especially since we now see mold growing. I also have to purchase a dehumidifier.

I will write more later on the progress of the work and my money pit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment